Donate quickly and securely here
Yes, I would like to give:
Cyclone Idai made landfall on Thursday 14th March and has caused widespread destruction across Southern Africa, including Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi.
Houses, roads and bridges have been ripped apart and agricultural land is completely submerged. An estimated 2.6 million people have been affected. More than 750 people are confirmed dead and 400,000 have lost their homes.
The full scale of the devastation is still unfolding, as search and rescue operations continue. The UN predicts that this may become one of the worst weather-related disasters on record in the southern hemisphere.
Right now, ActionAid and our local partners are on the ground in Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi. We’re doing everything we can to distribute life-saving relief items to as many people as possible, including food, blankets, water sterilising tablets, shelter, clothes, mosquito nets and sanitary protection for women and girls.
Chikondi Chabvuta, ActionAid Malawi Programme Lead in Nsanje, Malawi told us: “We are supporting families in three temporary camps in Nsanje District.
“People here have lost everything. Women and children are in desperate need. They are sleeping on the floor and there is no sanitation in the camps.
We are particularly concerned for the safety of women and girls in the camps as they are now so overcrowded.”
Thousands of people are in urgent need. Please donate now.
How your donation makes a difference
Your gift to the Cyclone Idai Appeal can help people who have lost everything
£30 can provide blankets to keep two families warm
£50 could provide food for a family for a month
£100 could help build toilet and washing facilities for homeless families
Or choose your own amount to give
What ActionAid is doing in southern Africa
ActionAid already has well-established projects in Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi, and we have launched a response to Cyclone Idai in the affected areas.
In Mozambique, we are responding with temporary shelter, food assistance and blankets, as well as educational materials to ensure children who’ve been affected can still go to school.
In Zimbabwe, we are providing food items as well as hygiene kits and sanitary protection for women and girls.
In Malawi, we’ve reached over 20,000 people to date. We’re providing food items as well as mosquito nets, solar lamps, soap and sanitary protection, and launching plans to help aid the future recovery of agriculture and education sectors.
What is ActionAid?
ActionAid is an international charity that works with women and girls living in poverty. The denial of their rights is one of the biggest causes of poverty worldwide, and a grave injustice. That’s why we put the rights of women and girls at the heart of all we do.
Our dedicated local staff are helping end violence against women and girls and changing lives, for good.
Our work in emergencies
When a disaster strikes, our local staff work round the clock delivering life-saving supplies to the worst hit communities.
Women and girls suffer disproportionately during humanitarian emergencies. We seek to put local women in charge, advising what their communities need, and overseeing the distribution of aid to the most vulnerable, to ensure fairness and transparency. They ensure that people get the life-saving aid that is their right.
Where your money goes
90% of your donation, after fundraising costs, will go to support the Cyclone Idai Appeal. The remaining 10% will be retained for ActionAid’s Emergency Action Fund which will only be used for ensuring we are prepared and able to respond quickly and more effectively to future emergencies and crises. If the total amount raised for this appeal exceeds the funds needed for the response, ActionAid will transfer the remaining balance to the Emergency Action Fund. All Gift Aid claimed on donations will fund ActionAid’s work across the world, wherever the need is greatest.