Donate quickly and securely here
Yes, I would like to give:
Update: Response to the tsunami in Sunda Strait, Indonesia, 23 December 2018
In response to the tsunami in Sunda Strait, Indonesia, following an eruption of Anak Krakatau volcano, Fransisca Fitri, Country Director for ActionAid Indonesia said:
“Indonesia is still reeling from the tsunami and earthquake that hit Sulawesi three months ago. It’s shocking to end the year grappling with the aftermath of yet another emergency caused by a tsunami. It’s been a terrible year for natural disasters.
“ActionAid Indonesia has an on-going programme in Serang, one of the districts affected by tsunami, through a partner organization. We are assessing the needs in the worst affected areas and our capacity to respond.” Read the full statement from ActionAid International.
More than 2,070 people are confirmed dead after a devastating earthquake and tsunami hit the Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Friday 28th September.
The 7.5 magnitude earthquake caused a tsunami with waves as high as 18 feet to sweep into the city of Palu, decimating entire communities.
1.5 million people have been affected and hundreds of thousands of survivors are in urgent need of food, water and shelter. Authorities fear that casualties and the number of those displaced by the disaster will continue to rise in the coming days.
Francisca Friti, Executive Director of YAPPIKA-ActionAid, said this is one of the biggest earthquakes the country has ever suffered.
“With 5,000 now feared missing, our local partners are using Google Person Finder to publish photos of missing people so that friends and family can help search for victims and refugees.
“Search and rescue has been incredibly difficult. The intensity of shaking caused by the earthquakes turned the earth into liquid. Buildings sank into it whilst others were moved long distances by the powerful flows.”
What ActionAid is doing in Indonesia
In the first two weeks since the disaster, ActionAid and its partners launched a team of more than 60 staff and volunteers in Palu, Donggala, and Sigi — working round the clock, delivering aid to thousands of affected people.
We opened public kitchens in twelve of the worst hit areas where thousands remain without food or proper shelter. Our public kitchens on the West Coast, Donggala, Sigi and the city of Palu are have served thousands of people a day with hot, nutritious meals.
We have reached at least 60,000 people with emergency aid, including tents, tarpaulins and blankets to shelter families who lost their homes, and food, water, clothing, nappies and sanitary kits for women and girls.
We are now launching a six-month response with our partners on the ground, focusing on food, water, shelter, psycho-social support and the protection of women and girls living in temporary camps. We’re supporting families to rehabilitate drinking water sources, including cleaning and reparing wells, and helping to provide boats and nets for fishing so families can once again earn a living.
What is ActionAid?
ActionAid is an international charity that works with women and girls living in poverty. The denial of their rights is one of the biggest causes of poverty worldwide, and a grave injustice. That’s why we put the rights of women and girls at the heart of all we do.
Our dedicated local staff are helping end violence against women and girls and changing lives, for good.
Our work in emergencies
When a disaster strikes, our local staff work round the clock delivering life-saving supplies to the worst hit communities.
Women and girls suffer disproportionately during humanitarian emergencies. We seek to put local women in charge, advising what their communities need, and overseeing the distribution of aid to the most vulnerable, to ensure fairness and transparency. They ensure that people get the life-saving aid that is their right.
Where your money goes
90% of your donation, after fundraising costs, will go to support ActionAid’s Indonesia Tsunami Appeal. The remaining 10% will be retained for ActionAid’s Emergency Action Fund which will only be used for ensuring we are prepared and able to respond quickly and more effectively to future emergencies and crises. If the total amount raised for this appeal exceeds the funds needed for the response, ActionAid will transfer the remaining balance to the Emergency Action Fund. All Gift Aid claimed on donations will fund ActionAid’s work across the world, wherever the need is greatest.