ActionAid is an international charity that works with women and girls living in poverty.
Our dedicated local staff are changing the world with women and girls. We are ending violence and fighting poverty so that all women, everywhere, can create the future they want.
A just, equitable and sustainable world in which every person enjoys the right to a life of dignity, freedom from poverty and all forms of oppression.
To achieve social justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication by working with people living in poverty and exclusion, their communities, people’s organisations, activists, social movements and supporters.
We focus on the rights of women and girls because poverty is complex. It’s more than a lack of money. It’s also a lack of choice and power.
For women and girls, poverty means having fewer opportunities than men and boys. In the world’s poorest places this means living on the margins of society, often facing discrimination, exploitation and violence.
How we raise funds
ActionAid UK fundraises primarily in the UK, from members of the public, trusts, corporates and from institutional donors such as DfID. One of our core fundraising products is Child Sponsorship, which contributes the bulk of the £28m that we raise annually through regular committed giving.
The Request for Proposal
ActionAid UK is the largest funder of the ActionAid Federation, and as such plays a key role in the federation’s global fundraising.
ActionAid UK is dependent on systems and technology to deliver the key strategic objectives, and the implementation partner will play a key role in supporting our ambitions laid out in our five-year strategy “Together, with women and girls”.
We are currently running two supporter databases:
- A bespoke Oracle based system called Infobase, that has been developed in-house over the last 22 years.
- Raiser’s Edge, used for relationship management by our Major Donor, Trusts and Corporate teams in our Partnerships & Philanthropy (P&P) department.
We have committed to a new Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Programme to integrate our disparate systems and to ensure that we have robust CRM and Business Intelligence (BI) systems and tools in place. This will allow us to be flexible, innovative, provide exceptional supporter experience and relationship management, and provide insight from our data to ensure that we are evidence-led and using this to drive our fundraising and marketing programmes.
Our ActionAid UK Strategy 2017–2022 and the Resource Mobilisation Strategy commits to embedding a "Digital First" culture into all voluntary fundraising activities. In order to achieve this, we must invest and update our CRM and BI systems and tools. This programme is laying the groundwork for growth to enable this to happen in the next strategy period.
As part of our CRM programme, we have also begun development on a Data Warehouse to provide us with a single source of truth to improve our reporting and decision-making capabilities, and to aid in data migration to our new CRM solution.
As mentioned above, child sponsorship is AAUK’s single biggest source of income at present, and this is also true for the ActionAid federation as a whole. This is a complex area for any CRM to manage, so needs special attention.
Additionally, ActionAid International are developing a new global child sponsorship database. The timing of this is imprecise, but testing of data flows and how users can interact between the two systems will be important.
Deliver a new platform CRM solution to replace our existing two databases (Infobase and Raiser’s Edge) and to integrate with our other systems including our Data Warehouse, our finance system (Sun), our international Child Sponsorship database and our website.
The main – tangible – outcomes will be to:
- Appoint a CRM implementation partner in Q4 2020.
- Deliver against our detailed implementation plan, overall timings and budget.
- Deliver against our technical requirements specification.
- Successfully complete the migration of data from our data warehouse to the new system.
- Deliver a programme of cultural change that brings users and our wider staff body along with us and allows us to realise the potential of a new CRM platform.
- Have trained all users and arranged a programme of ongoing training.
- Have in place suitable arrangements for post-implementation maintenance and support.
Our success criteria are to have delivered on our programme delivery objectives, plus the key programme benefits that we mapped out in our Vision workshop in June 2020. These are:
- Improved income generation opportunities.
- Improved supporter experience.
- More agile in supporting new product development.
- More engaged audiences.
- Improved evidence base/test and learn decision making.
- Improved staff experience.
- Assured compliance.
Further information can be found in Annex A – Benefits map
Activities that are in scope for this programme include:
- Contact relationship management with individuals, financial supporters, other organisations, influencers, and suppliers.
- Supporter management.
- Production of reports and analysis of data.
- Event management.
- Management information.
- Campaign and appeal management.
- Communications and mailings, including bulk mailings to supporters.
- Legacy administration.
- Marketing automation.
- Digital integration.
- Lottery management.
- Finance and income processing.
- Child sponsorship commitment management.
Additionally, in scope is a change management process to support staff through this programme, and systems change required to deliver functionality and reporting relating to the above activities.
Integration with third party systems that we use for our website, data warehouse, child sponsorship database, taking payments, contact centre operations, and management of our finances is also in scope, but any unrelated development of those systems isn’t.
How to apply
Please refer to all documents below for additional information on this RFP.
The documents will inform you of all technical and programmatic requirements for the Customer Relationship Management System (CRM). The ActionAid Supplier Questionnaire must be completed and returned with a submission.