Overview of project
ActionAid UK is part of the ActionAid Federation, and as such plays a key role in global fundraising. ActionAid UK (AAUK) is dependent on systems and technology to deliver our key strategic objectives and the outsourcing partner will play a key role in supporting our ambitions laid out in our strategy.
As a result of our work, and the desire to be ‘Southern led,’ understanding how racism impacts our culture and work in the UK is a critical element to our success. The sector itself is built on a colonial and paternalistic model, and therefore we acknowledge that systemic and institutional racism is happening in our organisation.
This project therefore seeks to illuminate where and how this is happening, and to provide recommendations to help shape the actions we will take to end racism within AAUK, and for us to be confidently and explicitly an anti-racist organisation both in words and actions.
As a result of the recent deaths in the USA and the continued targeting and mistreatment of black people in the UK, this has become even more important for us to really understand and take action on.
This is a key moment in time, and we need to take a proactive response to ensure that everyone within the organisation understands the issues and challenges and works together to dismantle racism within the organisation. This piece of work is one of the first steps in doing this.
Our work into the future needs to ensure it addresses the institutional issues, particularly the way in which the UK relates to the Federation and different parts of the AA Federation, ensuring we are not further inadvertently embedding colonist and racist practices.
Project scope and purpose
This request for proposal (RFP) is established on behalf of ActionAid UK to analyse both qualitatively and quantitively our progress in a number of key areas.
The output will be a report stating:
- what we are doing well
- what we need to change and /or improve
- what gaps exist
- timebound recommendations to shape our work at dismantling the institutional racism that is within AAUK.
The report will therefore need to provide information to help shape further actions, and will feed into the four workstreams of the Steering Group, namely:
- People and culture.
- Fundraising and communications (including influencing).
- Assessing and monitoring progress.
Key areas to explore include (although not exhaustive):
- The employee life cycle – from how we attract and recruit, to the demographics of the organisation, and how we retain, develop and promote.
- Contracting practices.
- Commitment to racial equity including (although not exhaustive) policy, planning, strategic decision making, and how embedded this commitment is.
- Leadership and management’s ability to advance and support racial equity including how this operates with our Governance structures.
- How we engage with communities and people of colour both in the UK and within the Federation, including how we represent these communities / people in our work.
- What data and monitoring is in place; what information / metrics we collect and use, how we collect it and from where/whom, and how we track the results of our actions to improve racial equity.
- Understand BAME staff's lived experience of racism at AAUK.
How to apply
Please refer to the RFP document and all attached documents, below, for further details which complete this Request for Proposal. Please complete all documents as requested.
Please note: The deadline for submissions to this Request for Proposal is 30th October 2020 (23:59).