24 April 2014
Today we're at the Barclays AGM delivering messages from campaigners all over the world who want Barclays to stop promoting the use of tax havens by companies investing in Africa.
Tweet your message to Barclays using the AGM hashtag
You can send your messages to Barclays boss, Antony Jenkins, by using the conference hashtag #BarclaysAGM. Here are some key facts about the campaign in case it's helpful for writing your personal message:
- Barclays are promoting the use of tax havens to companies investing in Africa
- Developing countries lose three times more revenue to tax havens than they receive in aid each year
- There's over $20 trillion stashed in offshore tax havens and Barclays is helping to make this happen
- When companies don’t pay their fair share of tax, this denies some of the world’s poorest people access to vital funds for schools and hospitals
- Antony Jenkins promised to clean up the bank's image and make it a 'force for good in Africa’. But ethical banks don't promote tax havens, especially if that helps them avoid tax in some of the world’s poorest countries
- 50,000 people have already called on Barclays to clean up its act on tax havens
You can also share one of our Barclays AGM images by adding this link to your tweet: pic.twitter.com/A4tsMDM50T
Thanks so much for your support!