Rohingya Crisis Appeal | ActionAid UK

More than 650,000 people are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance after fleeing violence in Myanmar to seek safety in Bangladesh.
Most of the refugees are Rohingya women and children who have been forced to leave their homes in north Rakhine, arriving in Bangladesh exhausted, injured and traumatised after walking for days. More than half of all new arrivals are children, and one in ten are pregnant or breastfeeding mothers. They desperately need shelter, clean water, food and medical aid.
"It's heart breaking and overwhelming here on the ground," says Farah Kabir, ActionAid Country Director in Bangladesh. “In nearly 15 years of working on humanitarian disasters I've never seen a crisis of this scale. People are so scared. They do not know what the future, or even tomorrow holds. The scale of need is far outweighing the response."
Families are living huddled beneath sheets of plastic, with no access to clean water, toilets or sanitary facilities. People have to cook and wash using contaminated water from the same sources. The risk of waterborne diseases spreading in these conditions is high, unless we act now. 

‘The journey was like hell’

Sitara, 35, fled Myanmar with her family, fearing that her children may be targeted for slaughter. "We were told our children would be arrested and killed. They were cutting the throats of young boys and shooting older men," she says.

After escaping immediate danger they faced further hardship: "The journey was like hell. There was no food, no sanitation, nowhere to rest. All the adults' legs were swollen because we had to carry our children. We had to carry them on our shoulders, on our backs, on our heads and in our arms." 

Now at Cox's Bazar, Sitara now worries that her daughters Morsadika, 10 and Ferdousa, 3, could be at risk from traffickers. "When my daughters grow up, the fear for their safety will become more intense," she says. "When you have daughters that fear is always with you." 

"We have this fear or anxiety at night time that if our daughters go out then someone will snatch them and take them away. We are vulnerable, so bad men might see us as targets."

Rohingya refugee crisis: ActionAid’s response in Bangladesh

ActionAid are on the ground in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, with a full-scale humanitarian response that is reaching over 70,000 Rohingya refugees with emergency food, clean drinking water, and hygiene kits including sanitary protection, soap and clean underwear.

We have reached over 40,000 people with food packages, and distributed over 13,000 hygiene kits.

We are giving 10,000 people safe drinking water from 20 wells, and built 52 latrines for 6,500 people. In addition 2,000 women and children have access to 20 bathing spaces, with nearly 11,000 women and girls receiving information and support in our Women's Safe Spaces. 

We urgently need your help to support our response to this crisis. Please donate now to help make sure we can reach as many women and girls as possible.

Please donate now

Rohingya Refugee Crisis.   Rohingya refugees, Ukhia, Cox’s Bazar.

£30 could provide emergency shelter to keep a family safe at night time


90% of your donation, after our fundraising costs, will go to support our emergency appeal for the Rohingya Crisis Appeal. The remaining 10% will be retained for ActionAid’s Emergency Action Fund which will only be used for ensuring we are prepared and able to respond quickly and more effectively to future emergencies and crises. If the total amount raised for this appeal exceeds the funds needed for the response, ActionAid will transfer the remaining balance to the Emergency Action Fund. All Gift Aid claimed on donations will fund ActionAid’s work across the world, wherever the need is greatest.


Photo credits: Md. Sariful Islam/ActionAid. Photo at top of the page is of Klima Begum, a Rohingya refugee who lost everything in Myanmar. She travelled to Bangladesh with the people from her village, bringing with her only the clothes she stood up in. The photo was taken near the Balukhali Camp in Cox’s Bazar. As the Balukhali refugee camp is overcrowded, she has to stay in a makeshift tent by the roadside.

Page updated 18 March 2018